7.13.2012

How to prove someone wrong on the internet

We're finally getting new carpet. In part of our house, at least. Our current carpet is old and disgusting. Unfortunately, the parts of the house we're not getting new carpet is in the bedrooms, and my bedroom is where I spend most of my time (when I'm not out & about, which is unsurprisingly not often). So I still have the faded, uncomfortable, unattractive blue carpets I've known and (not) loved all of my childhood. But, just because I'm not getting new carpet in my room doesn't mean I don't have to do a lot of work to pull up the carpet in other rooms, right? Well, I don't have to do a lot of work, but that's not the reason why. The reason is because I can't. I physically cannot cut and pull up the carpet. So, while my brother and dad do all the dirty work, I have to vacuum up the dust and nastiness that's under the padding that is under the carpet. Thank god we don't have to install the carpet. That would've been torture. My dad finally realized that he doesn't have to do everything himself, and sometimes he can pay a little extra money to have something done so he doesn't end up messing everything up and have to pay a lot of money to restart. I'm glad. All we have to do is move the piano, the couch, and the armoire, which, for those of you that don't know (because I didn't know), is cabinet of sorts for your TV. I don't know how my dad expects me to help move these, when I can't even pull up carpet.


Anyway.

Fast forward a few hours, we have new carpet, and I'm trying to get over the fact that this guy totally texted me first but he never replied when I texted him back and he's probably ignoring me and he's sooooo ignorant and....


Wait, I forgot, you don't care.


Let's talk about something I hate: Bitches on the internet. I was on Facebook earlier, looking at the posts from the pages I like, and I stumbled upon one that caught my eye. This girl found a page for the sole purpose of hating on it. She looked it up just to start a flamewar. Who does that? I mean, if something pops up on your wall and you wanna voice your opinion, go ahead, but who seriously takes time out of their day just to make people they don't know and have no affiliation with angry? It's so ignorant. I'm not even going to say the name of the page, but this stuff happens so much and it makes me so mad. How can people be so ignorant? I would take what they say more seriously if it wasn't just "this page is full of Fags" or "tbh i just wanted this to be between us know one else." If you're trying to prove someone wrong or insult someone, at least try to use good mechanics. Hate mail isn't taken seriously if you can't spell. Maybe people wouldn't hate you so much if you knew the difference between "your" and "you're." That's why I'd like to share with you the mini check list I go through when I reply to a hater.

How to prove someone wrong on the internet.

Step one: Make sure you actually have an opinion on the subject.
Do you not care one way or the other? Then it's better to not get involved.

Step two: Make sure you know your opinion on the subject.
Don't go in thinking one way and blindly switching sides throughout the argument.

Step three: Do you really care? Really? Are you sure?
This is an important step. You know what's gonna happen, they're not going to listen. You're a busy person. Wanna let off some steam? Go right ahead. Writing an important paper? You probably shouldn't.

Step four: Read what they said and what others said.
It's important to know what to say and to thoroughly understand what they're/you're saying before you post it.

Step five: Type up your response.
Shouldn't take too long.
Hint: Be. Super. Nice. Kill them with kindness. It really, really works. I like to end mine with "I'll pray for you." Even though, honestly? I probably won't. Try saying something like "You poor thing, you must have a terribly hard life" and use something they said to back it up.

Step six: Check your grammar, spelling, and flow.
Also, don't use acronyms or smiley's. Here's some good grammar guides from the best website ever (a.k.a The Oatmeal) :

Step seven: This is your last chance. Do you REALLY care?
Remember what they say: Don't feed the trolls.

Step eight: Click send. Congratulations!
Now notice either the inevitable missing burn/grammar/spelling error or the time lapse from the last comment.

Now you know how to piss people off that you don't know. Have fun, and remember, you're so much prettier than they are.

Much love from the girl in tight jeans, GinnaaayMarie.

No comments:

Post a Comment